Trizbort Update

Hooray, more people! Welcome Lumin and Finn!

:relaxed:Thank youā€¦

Another release of Trizbort to kick the month off (ok Iā€™m a day late).

http://www.trizbort.com

Some of the updates:

• Form to show some basic map statistics. We can expand no this in the future.
  • Swap room names with Ctrl+W
  • Swap room formats/fills with Shift+W
  • Swap room regions with Alt+W
  • Automapper does a bit better job of ignoring the game title.
  • Automapper handles room names that end in paranethesis a little
    better.
  • Fixed the copy / paste which was broken in some cases.
  • Setting a connection to plain Ā§, now sets the color back to default
    and removes the middle text if any.
  • Added some special select commands under Edit->Select Special.
    Quickly allows the user to select special items (all rooms with
    objects for example).

Hope you all enjoy it

1 Like

Starting to plan out the next few updates (both some quick updates to the current version and maybe a larger 2.0 version). You can look at the current list of issues at (https://github.com/JasonLautzenheiser/trizbort/issues)

One question I have in particularā€¦I know a few of you use the export to I7 feature, but does anyone use the export to Tads3 or I6? Also is there any other languages you would see implemented in the export?

How about ZIL? :smile:

I could try that! After reading the couple threads on here about ZIL, Iā€™ve been looking for a reason to play with itā€¦this could be as good as any! :grinning:

I am still having difficulty getting my head around ZIL, but Iā€™m sure being able to Trizbort-export sections of the map would help tremendously.

Well that wasnā€™t so bad (and kinda fun)ā€¦Iā€™ve got export of maps to ZIL from Trizbort working. Still need to finish up a few things with itā€¦mostly with exporting objects in roomsā€¦but for the most part I think the general map and navigation is working.

Iā€™ve published a new release if you want to try it out.

If things seem to work well, Iā€™ll do some final polishing and see how much further I can take the ZIL export.

1 Like

So I started reading through the ZIL document and I realize I have a lot more to do with thisā€¦nothing too difficult but I can do more. Also gave me some ideas on how to improve Trizbort handling of rooms and objects in rooms a bit better. Maybe Iā€™ll get some of those worked into the next release as well.

This is really awesome to readā€“I was wondering and hoping there would be any language worth exporting to. And there are!

Part of me wonders if ALAN might be a decent exercise on my own, in a private fork to push later, because I sort of want to contribute to that. But ZIL looks like the next logical choice & itā€™s exciting itā€™s coming together. And the issue in GitHub about a template for CodeExporter is really cool, too.

Windows-only right? Well, good show anyway. Interesting concept, map first, and then export into code. I never used an automapper before, though, and not even when playing do I make maps. If the geography is challenging I just use indented lists to track the directional links. Iā€™d be most interested in mapping software for the purpose of creating a nice-looking map of my own games in order to print out or publish, after the design and everything is complete.

Currently yes itā€™s Windows only. While Trizbort has the export of code and automapper while playing, it does a decent job of creating a nice looking map as well. @AndrewS has created some nice looking ones of his games plus a some others (https://github.com/andrewschultz/trizbort-maps)

1 Like

It might run on Mac/Linux under Mono, which claims to have complete support for Windows Forms.

It might run under Mono, though Iā€™ve never tried. I know a few that reported it working under an emulator or VM (though Iā€™ve heard of a couple that have had trouble).

New version of Trizbort 1.5.9.1 released as detailed out in my weekly update post.

2 Likes

Nice job! I downloaded it and despite me entering a trivial bug, itā€™s neat to see the new options. Iā€™ll continue to poke at it, and I like the option of having different roundedness for different rooms.

I was thinking how game maps sometimes come in spoiler-y and non-spoiler editions and how it might be convenient to have the option to hide areas/regions in Trizbort to take care of both needs at once. Map makers could set it so that this or that region is initially hidden, and people would click on something to reveal additional info.

Thanks for the suggestionā€¦Since the maps are just exported to images or pdfs, I donā€™t have much control over what happens after itā€™s exportedā€¦I could (and I think it is a good idea) put some options in to hide regions, selected rooms, ā€¦ that way it would be easier to generate the maps by the authors. There is a feature in there already to hide all text, so the general layout is available, but not room names.

BTW: I just put out another release of Trizbort. Has some bug fixes, a few small features and some very nice enhancements to the ZIL exporter thanks to @vaporware

http://www.trizbort.com/

As usual, forward me problems, questions or suggestions.

I think Roody was referring to hiding and showing things within the editor, so a number of rooms could be flagged as ā€œSPOILERā€ and not appear until the Trizbort-user hits a certain check box to show them. Then authors could release the .trizbort file for people to look at, or just use the feature to make two different images (as you mentioned).