How's everyone's projects going?

What are you working on? How’s it going?

Sell me on it!!!

2 Likes

I’m trying to get this guy to finish his project.

… It’s not going well.

I’m currently remaking Final Girl in a new engine with new art, music, and writing. I’m at the very beginning, prototyping systems in the game to make sure they can work. I’m trying to decide whether to call it “part 2” or just “Final Girl” since it’s a remake (with different systems and some new plot elements) and whether it would be eligible for any comps. I don’t know if I’ll make the deadline for Spring Thing back garden.

“Sell me on it” is tricky, because my Spring Thing game is about someone who can’t avoid people who are selling him on stuff which isn’t good for him.

Which reminds me, I need to get going on it. So many other side projects distracted me.

Hanon, that sound like a great system and a great product and great progress. Now, I want you to think of me - the reader - as someone who hasn’t experienced it before. Could you please be so kind to…

Sell me on it!!!

I sent you a PM. And I’m continuing to type so it will let me—

Working on some more updates for Trizbort. Would like to get back to developing one of my many games in progress, but like Andrew, I get distracted easily on other side projects.

Closing ZILF bugs. It’s been a year and a half since the last release, and there’s a ton of new stuff already added for 0.8, but I keep wanting to cram more in before releasing it.

2 Likes

Funny, on the day this thread was starting, I had planned to post about progress myself just because I’ve felt a little bad that this board has has been a little stagnant this year (although the same could mostly be said about my projects).

What with the release of HugoJS, the javascript Hugo interpreter, I’ve been trying to make sure Roodylib, my extension for the Hugo library, works as nicely as possible with this additional interpreter (and all preexisting ones). My most recent decision is that I want to make it as lean as possible, so I’m breaking off what I can into separate extensions. I previously had thought that putting it all together would save authors time as they’d have fewer files and message routines to juggle and alternative behavior could be easily used through Hugo’s compiler flag system. The thing is, I think that, in general, just including code is more intuitive to beginning Hugo coders, and I’d like the guts of Roodylib to be more readable to authors so we all are on the same page.

This has been a slower process than I’d like, so I’ve been thinking I’d change it up with some ZIL coding. My longtime on-and-off project has been to code up the example transcript included with the Infocom game “Ballyhoo” as an actual game. The last time I worked on it, with vaporware’s help, I got over some of the final troublesome hurdles. There’s just one thing left to code that might be tricky, as it’ll be my first foray into QUEUE (ZIL’s daemon/timer system). The main thing stopping my inertia was that I found that I had almost no interest in coming up with new not-in-the-transcript responses. Beyond that, the level of implementation in the original transcript (and “Ballyhoo” itself) leaves much to be desired, so I was thinking of having a command that switched between original-feel and actually-a-decent-game implementation.

The point is, what with these more ambitious goals, I’m not sure I’d ever finish the thing, so when I return to that project the next time, I’ve decided I’m going to implement only the transcript and just release the thing as example source code. I always was going to release the source anyway, but there’s really no need to put more effort into it than I really need to.

3 Likes

I’ve started doing regular backups–well, XML dumps–of IFWiki and submitting them to the IF archive. :back::arrow_up::calendar::back::arrow_up::calendar::back::arrow_up:

2 Likes

Feature Creep is a tempting thing but it can be so bad! On the other hand, doing small stuff to build up to a strong release can be so helpful.

It’s cool to read everyone else’s goals.

1 Like